|We hope you can attend our public meeting on Monday the 16th of September at 7.30pm.
Our board of Trustees are very concerned about the conditions of the lease the Council insist we sign if we want to repair the sports hall roof and get the hall back in use again. NB – here is the dilemma. The building is Council owned. They won’t repair the sports hall roof. We have raised the funding through members’ donations and have a contractor ready to repair the roof, but the Council’s solicitor insists we sign a “full repairing provisions” lease before the repair work can commence. You will be aware the Trust has already spent a considerable amount of money carrying out repairs to the Civic Centre since taking over the running of the Centre in November 2018. We’ve replaced broken windows, faulty electrics including lighting and emergency exit signs, decorated many of the rooms and upgraded the kitchen. We’ve had to repair emergency exit doors and fit smoke detectors throughout the building.
Our trustees feel we have been backed into a difficult corner – sign this lease which could bankrupt us if we can’t afford to replace a major piece of plant or no sports hall access. The Council’s own commissioned Schedule of Conditions in 2014 clearly stated that many items of plant and roofing need replaced and this hasn’t been actioned by the Council. Alternatively, do we forget about the sports hall and just operate what we can?
The Council’s solicitor will not amend the repair conditions as requested by our solicitor – “the Council will not accept the proposed revisals to the repairing obligation” and “The Council does not intend to enter into protracted negotiations with your clients in relation to the lease.”
The Council’s solicitor has also refused to meet with our trustees to discuss the lease.
We are now at a cross roads and want to gauge our members support before we decide the right course of action.We will also provide an update on our progress in trying to purchase the Civic Centre. We can’t proceed with our funding request for the purchase to the Scottish Land Fund until the Council agree a selling price.
Please come along to the meeting next Monday evening if you can.